Sunday, April 12, 2015

How To Prevent Fleece From Sticking To My Cutting Board...HELP!


I need to know if anyone else has ever had this issue when cutting a fleece backed quilt?

This is the fleece that was left behind after each time I would pick up the quilt to move to make a new cut. It was like the mat was a sticky mat.

I have never had this happen in the past and I am not sure what to make of it.

This is not in the cutting grooves as my mat is fairly new, it just appears it collecting the fleece as I would pull it away from the quilt.

I am open to any suggestions on ways to prevent this, what may have caused this from those that have far more experience than I do!

 

4 comments:

Scrappy quilter said...

Yes I had this happen once with fleece and ended up throwing out my cutting mat. From then on I never used my mat to cut fleece. Hope you can solve this.

QuiltShopGal said...

Great question. I too would like to know a way to "prevent". I've been playing with different ways to clean type of fuzz off of my mat and have had good luck using: Magic Erasers, Baby Wipes.

I've heard when you cut fleece, cuddle, fuzzy fabrics if you use a rotary blade that is like pinking shears, that it is supposed to significantly stop the fuzz, but I haven't yet tried this. I also know several expert quilters that use special "batting" shears to cut vs using a rotary cutter.

If you find a good solution, I'd be interested in what you come up with.

QuiltShopGal
www.quiltshopgal.com

GranChris said...

You can try using the other side. I wipe mine down to get rid of static. Do you soak and clean your mats once in awhile?

MaryB said...

I Wash my mats with soapy water about every 3 months and let dry (flat). This keeps them looking like new. Mary
mburnette912@bellsouth.net